If you’re looking for a light, healthy dish that screams “SUMMER” when Winter is fast approaching, you’re in luck! This recipe is basically summer served on a plate. Full of fresh, tropical flavors with vibrant colors this recipe is perfect to serve as either lunch or dinner, and will be a crowd-pleaser for sure.
The shrimp can be either grilled on their own or threaded on to skewers. Serve on a platter with the mango lime relish on the side along with your favorite summery side salad, steamed rice, cooked quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Mango Lime Relish
3 Lg Mangos
1 sml Bell pepper, green
1 sml Bell peppers, red
1 sml Red onion
1/2 Cup Juice, pineapple (natural – no added sugar)
1/4 Cup Lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp Garlic cloves, crushed
4 Tbsp Cilantro leaves finely chopped
4 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
½ Tbsp Curry powder
36 Lg Shrimp
1/3 Cup Juice, lime
½ cup Juice, pineapple
1 Cup Coconut water
1 tsp Garlic cloves, crushed
- Start by preparing your relish first. Cut the bell peppers in half and remove all the seeds. Peel the mangoes and slice fruit away from the central pit, then peel and discard the outer layer of the red onion.
- Finely dice the mango fruit, red pepper, green pepper, and onion it very small squares.
- Combine all the remaining relish ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix lightly then add the diced mango, peppers, and onion. Cover and keep stored in the fridge until ready to use. (Mixture will keep in the refrigerator for three days).
- To prepare the shrimp, peel and discard the outer shell of the shrimp. You will then need to make a 1/4-inch deep incision on the top of each shrimp (the side without the feet) from the tail to the head.
- Under cold, running water, open and wash the inside of the incision to devein the shrimp, do this with each one.
- In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, pineapple juice, coconut water, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the shrimp, toss to coat in the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours – no longer, or the shrimp will start to cook in the lime juice.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and discard the liquid.
- Heat a grill plate to medium – high heat.
- Once the grill is hot, place the shrimp on the plate and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until the shrimps turn bright red. The meat should be an even opaque white. Remove the shrimp from the grill.
- Serve alongside your choice of either some steamed rice, cooked quinoa, or cauliflower rice, with a generous helping of the mango lime relish.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, a lemon or lime wedge and some fresh cilantro to garnish. Enjoy!
Recipe Note: Avocado is also a great addition to this meal. Either add some diced avocado to the relish (but just be careful when you add it, be gentle when handling it as you don’t want it to go to mush) or add slices of avocado as an individual side.