Low-Calorie Meal for the Whole Family
What meal to make on a time crunch?
A traditional lasagna is an all-time family favorite for many households everywhere. While a traditional style lasagna is super delicious, most of the time it can be full of unnecessary calories, saturated fats, and even sugar.
You can now serve up this family favorite, without the guilt and without compromising on flavor!!! We have made some simple, healthy swaps and in return come up with a delicious lasagna recipe that is a well-balanced, nutritious meal. Full of fiber, quality protein, vitamins, and minerals, you will feel satisfied without the bloating that can be associated with traditional style lasagna.
In replacement of the highly refined (and high calorie) lasagna pasta sheets that are generally void of any nutrients, we have replaced them with slices of zucchini. Zucchini slices are a fantastic alternative, they hold the dish together well, while also increasing the nutritional profile of each serve. Zucchini’s contain 0 fat, very little calories and contain an array of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B6, C, and K, folate, potassium, and manganese. They also contain antioxidants and phytonutrients which will help reduce and prevent inflammation in the body. As zucchini is also high in fiber and water, this wonderful vegetable will improve digestion. Regular consumption can even help prevent IBS and other digestive issues.
A well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein choices (such as the chicken breast in this recipe), rich in complex carbohydrates and healthy fats, while reducing your calorie intake is the foundation to a healthy lifestyle. As you will quickly learn, healthy food can still be exciting and flavorsome, just as this recipe proves. Enjoy!
2 Lg Zucchini drizzled with Olive oil
1 lb Skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
1 Onion, peeled and diced
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
4 Cup Passata (Tomato Puree)
1 Cup Vegetable stock
¼ Cup Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves
2 Tbsp Fresh oregano leaves
¼ Cup Fresh basil finely chopped, Salt and pepper to taste
15 oz Skim ricotta cheese
1 Egg, lightly whisked
2 Egg whites, lightly whisked
3/4 Cup Fat-free shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut zucchini lengthways, into slices 1/2″ thick. Soak slices in salted cold water, 30 minutes. Pat dry and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and sauté for 4 minutes until browned. Drain well.
- Add the diced onion and garlic, sauté for another 2 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Stir in the pasta (puree), vegetable stock, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and lightly whisked egg and egg whites. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with a little olive oil.
- Spread 1 – 2 cups of the cooked chicken and sauce over the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange slices of the zucchini over the chicken mixture. Cover with 1 – 2 cups of the chicken and sauce.
- Spread half the ricotta mixture on top. Arrange another layer of zucchini slices over ricotta, and top with another 1 – 2 cups of chicken and sauce.
- Spread remaining ricotta mixture on top. Arrange a final layer of sliced zucchini over the ricotta mixture and top with the shredded cheddar.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the lasagna and bake for an additional 10 minutes uncovered or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with your favorite side salad or simply enjoy on its own.